Some cricket matches are remembered because of the scorecard. Some are remembered because of the records. But the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup Final is different for me. I don't remember it only because India won the World Cup after 28 years. I remember it because it was one of the happiest days of my childhood.
Whenever I hear Ravi Shastri's famous commentary, "Dhoni finishes off in style... India lift the World Cup after 28 years...", I immediately travel back to 2 April 2011. For a few moments, I am no longer an adult. I become that 11-year-old boy sitting on a charpai in a small room with my family, watching history unfold on an old television.
How My Cricket Journey Began
I started watching cricket in 2010 during the Indian Premier League (IPL). Like millions of young kids, I was attracted by the colorful jerseys, packed stadiums, sixes, wickets, and the electric atmosphere. Before that, cricket was just another sport for me. But IPL changed everything.
From that moment onwards, I became a regular cricket fan. I started recognizing players, learning the rules, and waiting for every Indian match. Little did I know that within a year I would witness one of the greatest nights in Indian cricket history.
The Hype Before the 2011 World Cup
The excitement before the 2011 Cricket World Cup was unbelievable. India had a very strong team led by MS Dhoni. Legends like Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, Gautam Gambhir, Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh and young stars like Virat Kohli gave every fan confidence that this could finally be India's year.
Everywhere people talked only about the World Cup. Television channels discussed India's chances throughout the day. Newspapers were filled with cricket news. Friends talked about cricket in school, and every evening children copied their favourite players while playing in the streets.
As India kept winning matches, the excitement only grew stronger. Every victory brought the dream closer. When India defeated Pakistan in the semi-final, it felt like the entire country had already started celebrating. But there was still one final challenge left—Sri Lanka.
The Final Day Arrived
On 2 April 2011, the atmosphere inside our house was completely different.
Normally, only my father and I were interested in watching cricket. The rest of the family hardly followed the game. But this final was special. Everyone wanted to witness history together.
Our house was small, and we watched the match in a tiny room. There were only two traditional charpais placed side by side. We all sat on those charpais in front of our old television. It wasn't a big LED TV or a home theatre. It was just a simple old television, but on that evening it became the most important thing in our house.
Looking back today, I realize that happiness never depends on expensive things. Sometimes, the smallest room creates the biggest memories.
India Started Well with the Ball
Sri Lanka won the toss and batted first. India made an excellent start as Zaheer Khan bowled brilliantly in his opening spell. The early wickets of Upul Tharanga and Tillakaratne Dilshan made it seem like India had complete control of the match.
At that stage, I honestly believed India would win comfortably.
Since it was evening and all my friends were outside playing cricket, I decided to go for a while. I thought the match was almost under control.
But cricket has always been a game of surprises.
When I Returned Home, Everything Had Changed
When I came back after playing cricket, I was shocked.
Mahela Jayawardene had completely changed the match with one of the finest innings ever played in a World Cup final. His unbeaten 103 runs were full of elegance, timing and class. Sri Lanka had reached a challenging total of 274/6 in 50 overs.
There was one thing that surprised me even more.
Neither my father nor I had been watching during that phase, but the rest of my family—who usually had almost no interest in cricket—were still sitting together watching every ball. That itself showed how big the occasion was.
Everyone quickly finished dinner before India's innings started. Nobody wanted to miss even a single delivery.
India's Chase Began with a Nightmare
The target was 275 runs. It was not impossible, but in a World Cup final, even an average total can feel like a mountain.
Everyone in our room became silent as India's innings began. We had already finished our dinner so that nobody would have to leave the room during the chase. Every eye was fixed on our old television.
Then came the first heartbreak.
Lasith Malinga trapped Virender Sehwag lbw on just the second ball of the innings. Before we could recover from that shock, another blow arrived. Sachin Tendulkar, the man every Indian wanted to see lift the World Cup, edged another Malinga delivery behind the wicket for just 18 runs.
The room suddenly became silent.
I could feel disappointment on everyone's face. My father was extremely upset. He looked at the television and said, "Band kar do TV... ab match jeetna bahut mushkil hai."
But I refused.
I don't know why, but somewhere inside me I still believed India would find a way. I requested everyone not to switch off the television. Looking back today, that may have been the best decision I ever made as a young cricket fan.
Hope Slowly Returned
Virat Kohli was still a young cricketer in 2011. He was talented, but he hadn't yet become the global superstar he is today. Along with Gautam Gambhir, he started rebuilding India's innings one run at a time.
Every boundary brought smiles back to our faces. Every over that passed without losing a wicket made us believe again.
The required run rate stayed under control, and slowly the tension inside our small room started turning into hope.
When Kohli was dismissed for a valuable 35, another surprise was waiting.
MS Dhoni Walked In
Instead of Yuvraj Singh, India's captain MS Dhoni promoted himself to number five.
I still remember feeling two emotions at the same time.
I was happy because Dhoni was my favourite player.
But I was also scared.
If Dhoni got out early, India's chances would become very small. Sri Lanka still had the legendary Muttiah Muralitharan, one of the greatest bowlers in cricket history. Most Indian batters had struggled against him over the years.
However, Dhoni had a good record against Muralitharan from the IPL and international cricket. Perhaps that was one of the reasons why he promoted himself.
As a young boy, I didn't know all the tactical reasons behind the decision. I only knew one thing—I trusted my captain.
The Partnership That Changed Everything
What followed was one of the greatest partnerships in Indian cricket history.
Gautam Gambhir and MS Dhoni played with remarkable calmness. They didn't try to hit every ball for a boundary. Instead, he read out the field placements and kept rotating the strike, punished loose deliveries and slowly took control of the chase.
With every over, the atmosphere inside our house changed.
The same people who had almost given up after Sachin's wicket were now sitting on the edge of the charpais, watching every single delivery with hope in their eyes.
Every run mattered.
Every boundary brought loud cheers.
Every dot ball increased the tension.
It felt as if time had slowed down.
Then came one emotional moment.
Gautam Gambhir, after playing one of the finest innings under pressure, was bowled for 97 runs while trying to finish the match. He missed a well-deserved century by just three runs.
At that moment, I felt disappointed for him.
But deep inside, I also knew that he had already done his job. He had brought India within touching distance of the World Cup.
One Six That Changed Everything Forever
After Gautam Gambhir was dismissed for a magnificent 97, the responsibility was completely on MS Dhoni. Every Indian heart was beating faster with each passing delivery. Our small room had become absolutely silent. Nobody was talking anymore. Every pair of eyes was fixed on the television.
I still remember sitting on the charpai and praying silently that Dhoni would stay till the end.
Then came the moment that changed Indian cricket forever.
Nuwan Kulasekara bowled a full delivery, and Dhoni swung his bat with complete confidence. The ball sailed high over long-on and disappeared into the crowd it was a match winning six by MS Dhoni.
For a second, nobody in our room reacted.
Then suddenly everyone jumped with joy.
India had done it.
After 28 long years, the World Cup was finally coming home.
"Dhoni finishes off in style... A magnificent strike into the crowd! India lift the World Cup after 28 years. The party starts in the dressing room..."
Even today, whenever I hear those words, I get goosebumps. No matter how many times I watch that video, the feeling never changes.
Our Celebration Outside the House
The moment the winning six was hit, we rushed outside our house.
The entire road had turned into a festival.
People were bursting crackers everywhere. Children were dancing with joy. Bikes kept passing by with fans waving the Indian flag while shouting, "India... India...!"
For the first time in my life, I saw complete strangers celebrating together like one big family.
I couldn't control my excitement either. I ran outside and shouted as loudly as I could, "Hum jeet gaye... India jeet gayi!"
That moment is still fresh in my mind. It wasn't just a cricket victory—it felt like the entire country had won something together.
I Still Remember Telling My Family...
When the celebrations settled down a little, I couldn't stop smiling.
I looked at everyone in the house and proudly said, "Aap log to TV band kar rahe the... mujhe pata tha India jeetegi."
As an 11-year-old boy, I had complete faith in one man.
MS Dhoni.
Back then, there was no popular phrase like "Dhoni hai to mumkin hai," but that was exactly what I felt. As long as Dhoni was at the crease, I believed India could win from any situation.
Why This Memory Is Still Special
Since that unforgettable night, India has won more ICC trophies. I celebrated every single one of them with great happiness. But somehow, none of those victories felt exactly like the 2011 World Cup Final.
Maybe it was because I was just an 11-year-old boy.
Maybe it was because my entire family watched cricket together for one rare evening.
Maybe it was because we were all sitting in a tiny room on two old charpais, sharing one dream.
Or maybe some memories are simply impossible to recreate.
Final Thoughts
The 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup Final will always be more than just a cricket match for me. It reminds me of my childhood, my family, our old television, the two charpais, the nervous moments after Sachin Tendulkar's dismissal, my father's frustration, my belief in MS Dhoni, Ravi Shastri's legendary commentary, and the celebrations that echoed through our streets.
Whenever someone asks me about my favourite cricket memory, I don't need to think for even a second.
It will always be the night when India became World Champions, and an 11-year-old boy experienced the happiest evening of his childhood.
Match Summary
- Date: 2 April 2011
- Venue: Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
- Final: India vs Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka: 274/6 (50 overs)
- Top Scorer: Mahela Jayawardene – 103* (88)
- India: 277/4 (48.2 overs)
- Top Scorers: MS Dhoni – 91* (79), Gautam Gambhir – 97 (122)
- Result: India won by 6 wickets
- Player of the Match: MS Dhoni
- Player of the Tournament: Yuvraj Singh








Comments